S H A M B H A L A
Selections from the Agni Yoga Series
Presented before the Agni Yoga Society, April 14, 2009
1. The universal Eye of Shambhala brings Bliss to mankind. The universal Eye of Shambhala is a Light on the path of mankind. The universal Eye of Shambhala is that star which has guided all seekers. For some, Shambhala is the Truth. For others, Shambhala is a utopia. For some, the Ruler of Shambhala is a venerable sage. For others, the Ruler of Shambhala is the manifestation of riches. For some, the Ruler of Shambhala is a bedecked idol. For others, the Ruler of Shambhala is the Ruler of all Planetary Spirits. But We shall say, The Ruler of Shambhala is the fiery Impeller of Life and of the Fire of the Mother of the World. His Breath is ablaze with flame and His Heart is aglow with the fire of the Silvery Lotus. The Ruler of Shambhala lives and breathes in the Heart of the Sun. The Ruler of Shambhala is the Invoker and the Invoked. The Ruler of Shambhala is the Sender of the Arrow and the Receiver of all arrows. The Ruler of Shambhala breathes the Truth and affirms the Truth. The Ruler of Shambhala is invincible, turning destruction into construction. The Ruler of Shambhala is the Crest of the Banner and the Summit of Life. Accept the Ruler of Shambhala as the manifestation of life; thrice I say--of life! For Shambhala is the guaranty of human aspirations. Our manifestation is guaranty of the perfecting of humanity. Our manifestation is the affirmed path to the Infinite.
2. Shambhala is manifested under the most varying Aspects, in relation to the concepts of a century. It is correct to study all the cycles of the legends of Asia. Thus one can go back as far as the most ancient Teachings connected with Siberia, as the least known and most archaic part of the continent. The relation of the hieroglyphics found in India to the inscriptions on Easter Island is unquestionable. Thus is disclosed the manifestation of a new relationship of peoples, which fully corresponds to the most ancient sources. Thus, once more you see how the chronicles have preserved the true historical data, but people accept them with difficulty. You observed justly that the facts about the Kalachakra are passed over in silence; this is due not only to ignorance but to an abhorrence of touching the fundamentals. Humanity passes over with equal shudders all the wells of knowledge--this applies to all worlds--and people will shudder just as much over the world of Fire.
Fiery World I, 97
3. The Ruler of Shambhala reveals three doctrines to humanity: the Teaching manifested by Maitreya summons the human spirit to Our creative world; the Teaching of Maitreya ordains the infinite in Cosmos, in life, and in the attainments of the spirit; the Teaching of Maitreya guards the knowledge of the Cosmic Fire as the unfoldment of the heart that embraces the manifestation of the Universe. The ancient legend that affirms the manifestation of Maitreya as a resurrection of the spirit is correct. We will add that the resurrection of the spirit as the conscious acceptance of the Teaching of Lord Maitreya may be precursor to the Advent. Verily, the resurrection!
4. Lamas speak about the Abode of the Great Rishis. Each one describes Shambhala according to his own understanding. The mention of treasures is correct, but they are described in different ways. Legends about Our Warriors exist all over the world and are not without foundation. There are also described many gates and mirrors. The legend about the Tashi Lama granting passports to Shambhala is symbolic. The appearance of similar symbols in various parts of the world proves how much Truth has spread. Even ancient Mexico knew about the Sacred Mountain where the Chosen People live. It is not surprising that all Asian nations preserve legends about the Sacred Mountain. It is described almost correctly, but he who is not called will not reach it.
Supermundane I, 16
5. It was equally strange to read in your letter that “if the Lord Maitreya should become a Buddha, He most probably will manifest Himself in a physical body.” That Individuality which, in the Eastern conception, took on the Image of Maitreya, became a Buddha long ago. Therefore, the reason brought by you for his physical incarnation also falls away. I could again confirm all the prophecies mentioned in the book, Shambhala. Of course, the year 1936 was indicated as a year of great foundations and great changes. But the reign of the Lord of Shambhala does not imply that He will come and take part physically in the last battle; this is the mistake that the most ignorant of Buddhists make. The Lord of Shambhala, according to the most ancient chronicles, will fight the Prince of Darkness himself. This battle, first of all, takes place in the subtle spheres; whereas, here the Lord of Shambhala acts through his earthly warriors. As for Himself, He can be seen only in the most exceptional cases, and certainly would never appear in a crowd or among the curious. As for his manifesting in a Fiery Image, this would be disastrous for all and everything, as his aura is charged with energies of tremendous power. In the Gospel of St. Matthew (24:27-39), the Advent and the Judgment Day awaiting our planet are described fairly accurately. However, you will have plenty of time to grow old before this event, but partial catastrophes may take place sooner.
Letters Of Helena Roerich I, 12 April 1935
6. Urusvati knows about those close to Us who have gone to the far-off worlds. The ignorant may spitefully misinterpret these departures, and few will understand that the flights are special missions. It is hard to imagine that between the worlds there exist links of thought. It is not easy for man to detach himself from his earthly solidity and realize that the most important place is not here on Earth but in what he perceives as a void. One must be reborn to understand that earthly beauty seems beautiful only because man does not know supermundane beauty. On Earth many things are understood in a distorted way, and people are always ready to imagine that among the worlds there is as much hostility as there is on Earth. Many do not understand that the Head of the Brotherhood can depart to the far-off worlds. Nor can they comprehend why certain earthly Leaders, although devoted and enlightened, are willing to leave their Brothers behind. Only man's limited understanding causes him to deny the idea of expansion of the Community to several worlds. It is likewise difficult to imagine that, even in new bodies and in different surroundings, inhabitants can preserve the seeds of their clear, earthly consciousness. Yet the Primal Energy is everywhere one and the same. Such a link is stronger than all existing substances. People are perplexed about the far-off worlds, but they misunderstand much on Earth as well. For example, it is believed by many that Panchen Rimpoche issues passports to Shambhala. It would seem that this makes no sense, but actually these papers are not to Shambhala, they are about Shambhala. From ancient times there has existed a reminder about Shambhala that was given to those who were able to direct their thoughts to it, but later the sense was distorted and some ridiculous passports have been seen. Also, many do not understand why some seemingly ignorant lamas can be guardians of Our Brotherhood. One must recognize that these lamas are exceptional; they have preserved the concept of Shambhala as a sacred treasure.
Supermundane I, 69.
7. Be fortified in the thought of My desire to show you the best path. Consider how imperative it is for you to help Me in this desire. Let nothing of the outworn obstruct your striving. Remember that one stumbling horse can impede an entire caravan. Therefore say, "Walk with certainty, otherwise your fate will be to fall upon a spear." Your approach to Us quivers on the balance; do not try to hide it.
Let us pronounce the prayer to Shambhala: “Thou Who didst call me to the path of labor, accept my fitness and my desire. Accept my labor, O Lord, because by day and by night Thou beholdest me. Manifest Thy hand, O Lord, because great is the darkness. I follow Thee!” Walk as though ascending the mountain of joy. Great is the scope of the battle for the regeneration of humanity's consciousness. The Teacher rejoices at your decisiveness.
Agni Yoga, 104
8. How little does humanity ponder over the idea of responsibility, when the concept of Shambhala is regarded by people as a land ordained for rest. If people would only realize that the Brothers of Humanity bear all the burden of man's consciousness! If people would realize that We carry the responsibility for their schemes! If people would realize that, in essence, Shambhala is the Source which creates a new and better step for humanity! When I say that the suffusing of the earthly crust is Our task, man should understand that Our planet must arouse itself. Cosmos awaits! People plead for Good. The Cosmos affirms humanity not as the manifestation of one who receives, but as a receiving creator. Thus is the step laid, and the spirit of a creator can construct powerfully when the might of tension reaches to the summits of Cosmos.
9. The concept of Shambhala is actually linked inseparably with fiery manifestations. Without the application of purified Fire it is impossible to approach the higher concepts. Throughout the entire world people are divided into those who are conscious of Shambhala as the Highest Measure and those who deny the future. Let the word Shambhala be known to but a few; each has a different tongue, but the heart is one. One must manifest solicitous attention to each one who is ready to proceed toward Light. The heart must embrace each manifestation that reverberates to the Good. But only under the Flaming Dome are all equal.
Fiery World I, 41
10. One is obliged to encounter people who ridicule each word unintelligible to them. Their receptive apparatus is covered with callouses of ignorance. For example, if to them is said “Shambhala,” they will take this concept of reality to be a fetish, superstition. What are the signs of the time of Shambhala? The signs of the age of truth and cooperation. Trace how the word Shambhala is uttered in the East. Try to penetrate, even in a small way, into the ideology of this concept. Try to understand the rhythm of structure of speech about Shambhala, and you will perceive a great reality which causes the harp-strings of humanity to vibrate. Let reason help you to ponder on the values accumulated by the best strivings. In the book Community the concept of Shambhala cannot be omitted. Friends, apprehend what a tensed and beautiful time the present is!