M U S I C O F T H E S P H E R E S
Selections from the Agni Yoga Series
Presented before the Agni Yoga Society, December 2, 2008
1. The refraction of rays yields sounds that enter into the symphony of the music of the spheres. One may picture their crystalline quality of subtleness together with the power of the whirlwind.
There is a center in the brain which is called the bell. Like a resonator it gathers the symphony of the world, and it can transform the deepest silence into a thundering chord. It is said, "He who hath ears, let him hear."
2. Now about the circles of receptivity. The circles of keen sight proceed centrifugally and those of receptivity proceed centripetally. From symbols and dim outlines they advance spirally to sharp fact, to clair-call, clair-audience, clair-voyance, clair-understanding, clair-achievement, clair-knowledge.
Like the music of the spheres, the all-existing resounds along the ways of Boundlessness and Non-recurrence.
As the bird flutters and then flies, so does a word gush from Our Furnace, and afterwards it can only be confirmed. But when one can catch the boiling of the furnace, it glows more powerfully than a command.
3. If we begin to decompose matter, we see that the liberated atoms begin to arrange themselves according to their basic tone, and, escaping into the ether, they form a rainbow that resounds with the music of the spheres.
If the entire planet be decomposed, then indeed the result will be a rainbow. This can be observed in every dissolution of matter.
Our Ray dispatches myriads of purified atoms, which enwrap the man if there is no astral whirlwind around him. This is the reason for the calmness of the spirit, as otherwise the remnants of Karma will obscure the object of the sending.
The lower spirits rend the Ray like monkeys, tearing the precious fabric without any benefits to themselves, because the atoms of matter are useless for restless shells.
This must be remembered while uniting the spirit in prayer with the Infinite.
4. Today Urusvati heard the music of the spheres, the rhythm that strengthens the realization of evolution. It is not the theme precisely, but the rhythm that is the essence of the music of the spheres. And it is the degree of purity of the sounds that determines the quality of the interplanetary conduit. These sounds are heard on many far-off worlds, but on Earth they can be heard only at high altitudes, and only by those who have a musical ear. However, the ear that listens for the music of the spheres must be protected from the wind.
Agni Yoga, 149.
5. The music of the spheres consists not of melodies but of rhythms. When the developed spirit knows the sound of the spheres, it will understand the power of rhythms. So, while saturating a teraph, the will and rhythm are the most important. It matters not with what words the mission is entrusted to the teraph. Important are the succession of the layers of meaning, the sincerity of the direct transmission, and the rhythm, which corresponds to Mahavan. The developed consciousness can improvise words in accordance with the flow of psychic energy.
It is unnecessary to constrain oneself with memorized words. It is better to be imbued with rhythm, when each muscle merges in striving with the nerves. One vibrates as an integral whole, and the power of the command is transferred by laying the hands on the teraph. One should be imbued by a single-minded striving when creating a teraph. One should charge the teraph not less than three times daily. In order to better invest the teraph with the power of your will, do not make its surface too highly polished. It is effective to cover it with a fabric and to burn resinous essences near it. Eucalyptus is good for this.
Agni Yoga, 421.
6. One more task for Us is the molding of the human spirit, finding helpful rays for humanity which will shape and develop beautiful abilities of the spirit. The world tasks are affirmed by the tension of the cosmic fires, and the joy of spatial achievements reverberates as the music of the spheres.
Infinity I, 89.
7. To the Brothers of Humanity is assigned the construction of the life of the planet; and they maintain the Command of the great Mother of the World. The music of the spheres resounds when the current of joy is in motion. The music of the spheres fills space when the heart is stirred to tremor by the cosmic force.
8. The music of the spheres does not require melody, but is based upon rhythm, for the rest resounds in the heart. Precisely the heart is the link between the worlds, and only the heart can respond to the heart of the Lord and to the entire Hierarchy.
9. It is quite just to call the music of the spheres the Song of Fire. Are not the fiery vibrations concordant? And is not this resounding nurtured with radiations? Thus when we call Agni "The Keeper of the Gates" and understand the unutterable link, then we too resound. One may resound here also, if only for a moment, then all earthly habits become obsolete. Thus one must affirm in the heart all sparks of the Fiery World. May the earthly habits be replaced by the Fiery Truth.
Fiery World II, 4.
10. One must not think that the sound of the far-off worlds will be something hard to imagine. First of all they will resound because the current creates vibration. One should accustom oneself to such sounds. One may understand that the so-called music of the spheres rather often comparatively borders on the sounding of the far-off worlds. In any case, every music of the spheres is already a bond between the worlds, because this vibration reaches unaltered to the most distant planets.
Fiery World II, 66.
11. A subtle sound is like the language of the Subtle World. It is apprehended without coarse earthly vibrations, just as the music of the spheres is attuned to our subtle vibrations, and thus is received a sensation of the beautiful.
Fiery World II, 283.
12. Aum resounds not as a name but as a concept. The cognizing one will realize the sounding which is consonant with the music of the spheres. Rarely is it possible to hear this resonance of the spheres with the earthly ear, but the ignoramus takes it only for a noise in the ear. Thus let us walk where sounds Infinity itself.
13. Whoever can hear the music of the spheres can also hear the wailings of space. Do not regard such wailings as abstract symbols, for they are borne from both the Subtle World and Earth. Humanity may be asleep, but its heart can wail and moan. According to the intensity of the wailings one can estimate the awakening of the consciousness of humanity. It wails when reality is revealed. It is necessary that one be prepared to listen not only to the majestic music of the spheres but also to the cry of animal terror. It is impermissible to know only one side of existence. Only cognition of the whole Universe will give the affirmation of victory. He who knows about the world of Light is not afraid of darkness. Thus, it is necessary to appreciate the wondrous music of the spheres, and to understand that on this step are also heard the lamentations of the world.
14. Perfection of thought is an expression of beautiful musicality. The highest rhythm is the best prophylaxis, a pure bridge to the highest worlds. Thus We affirm Beauty in Our Abode. Urusvati has noted that the music of the spheres is characterized by a harmony of rhythm. It is precisely this quality that brings inspiration to humanity. People usually do not think about the sources of inspiration, but if they did they would help Our work greatly. You know about the special musical instruments that are in Our possession. Urusvati has heard them. The refined scale and rhythm of Sister Oriole should be acknowledged as the highest harmony. Often such singing has served to bring peace to the world, and even the servants of darkness have retreated before its harmonies. The heart's feeling is sensed not in words themselves but in their sound. Likewise, it is the rhythm and harmony that protect us against fatigue. The quality of music and rhythm should be developed from infancy.
Supermundane I, 42.
15. The music of the spheres and the hymns of nature are more easily heard by those whose hearts are full of love. Those who wish to participate in Our Abode must commune more often with their own hearts, and through them send Us at least silent calls. Sometimes these calls are referred to as "without thought," because they are expressed in feeling rather than thought. One may think that all this is very complicated, but in fact, it can be put in four words, "I love Thee, Lord." This is the conduit to Us. Such a conduit is much stronger than the request, "Help me, O Lord." We know when it is possible to help, and help flies easily upon the wings of love. It passes through the sharpest obstacles. Let us love each other.
Supermundane I, 80.
16. One should rejoice at each act of full striving. Such fullness gives birth to the music of the spheres. An intensified harmony arises when all the strings of the heart resound. Do not take such comparisons as mere symbols; long ago We spoke about the eyes of the heart. Indeed, man sees through them, and hears with the ears of the heart.
Supermundane I, 91.
17. Urusvati also knows that talk or thought about Us brings the sacred vibration closer. We, too, know the power of exalted thought, and come together for the purpose of thinking unitedly about the Beautiful. However, We do not suggest some particular image; each individual selects the most beautiful according to his affinity. Thus, a symphony is created which comes close to the music of the spheres. Its chords ring out like victorious trumpets, so harmonious that their very sounds fill the heart with joy.
Supermundane I, 135.
18. Urusvati will not forget to write about the music of the spheres, which she heard today. In it were expressed the fundamental details of coming events, their grandeur and their sadness. May this symphony resound as a symbol.
Supermundane I, 148.
19. Urusvati has heard both the majestic music of the spheres and the uproar of chaos. Out of confusion and wailing the Great Teachers compose harmonious symphonies. Only the ignorant assume that celestial harps will sound at the first request. From the abyss of chaos to celestial harmony the way is indeed long.
Supermundane I, 152.