A U R A
Selections from the Agni Yoga Series
Presented before the Agni Yoga Society, November 6, 2007
1. Let us speak of the auras.
The egg-shaped aura is natural to the astral body. The most usual, the narrow aura, which emanates from the entire body, extends outward about two inches. In accordance with the degree of spirituality, it begins to expand from the upper nerve centers. Starting from the solar plexus, it afterwards rises toward the brain centers, forming the so-called solar aura. Influxes of blood are characteristic of the transposition of the aura, when the current of tension shifts its pressure. Even fainting spells are possible. Finally, the radiation leaves the lower extremities and forms a surrounding ring. The organism while yet in the midst of life becomes acutely sensitive, especially to sounds and colors. The utmost tranquility is needed during this transitory period. The solar aura may be of ten or fifteen inches, and of course its dimensions may increase.
In spite of the discomfort of transposition of the aura, one may congratulate him who has acquired the upper radiation. The opportunity for repose should be cautiously created. Later on a seeming new armor grows, as the nerves of the skin become strengthened. One cannot exactly divide the physical and the spiritual. The balance fluctuates and the waves travel over the organism. This must not be called a malady, but the organism must be assisted every moment to fortify itself in its new condition.
2. The aura of the newly born is white or colorless, because the consciousness has not yet colored it. But at the first glimmer of consciousness, the aura becomes tinged with its corresponding color.
Letters Of Helena Roerich II, 5 July 1938.
3. Many qualities are inherent in the aura. They are measured not only according to the size of the aura, but also by its inner tension. Indeed, the highly tensed aura is both the best shield and the most potent influence on its surroundings or environment. Sometimes radiation s are good in color, but are not sufficiently intense.
Strengthening of the aura occurs through communion with the Higher World, as egoism falls away and selflessness is kindled. Thus, each communion with the Higher World will induce a strengthening of radiations. This subject invites scientific observation.
4. The magnetic attraction of the aura greatly varies depending upon the combination of manifestations of different tensions. The consciousness sets aflame the power of the aura. When the consciousness is saturated with higher strivings, when it is directed to higher creativeness, the magnet of the aura increases a thousandfold. When the spirit aspires to the Higher Source the magnet of the aura is affirmed in its might. Each lofty striving produces a sediment, manifesting its saturation for each action. Each fiery transport gives to the aura a strong particular attraction which is irrevocably affirmed as the basis of higher action. The attraction of magnetic waves exerts its influence at great distances, and sendings of the spirit can especially be attracted to the closest auras. The creativeness of the spirit acts by means of these fiery magnets. On the path to the Fiery World one must affirm one's own magnetic attractions.
Fiery World III, 222.
5. Harmony of auras does not require sameness of color. Thus, a violet aura can be in harmony with one that is green, and a pink aura can make a blue one more visible. In such combinations can be found currents of special intensity. It is even desirable to combine colors, as a guarantee of the future rainbow. So multihued are the vibrations of luminous colors, that it is impossible for the limited range of earthly colors to represent them, just as it is impossible for the range of earthly sounds to encompass the symphony of the spheres. Your earthly lilac and violet have nothing in common with Our heavenly purple.
Agni Yoga, 89.
6. In fitting the affirmation of cosmic law to the state and social order one should keep in mind the law of attraction, repulsion and cohesion. All structures are subject to this same law. And people should be graded according to the composition of their auras. The ray which unifies the manifestation of harmonious auras acquires the strength of augmented attraction, but inharmonious combinations produce repulsion. The results of such combinations can be compared with gases. Just as non-cohesive molecules press against the walls of a vessel, so are inharmonious auras mutually repelled, and the vessel which contains such gases may burst. In governmental and social construction one should have in mind the workings of cosmic laws. Two harmonized auras can create a New World. Two harmonized auras can be a pledge of success, for the reaction from the unification of rays can direct each beginning toward advancement. Let us affirm harmonization and unification of auras. And on the path to the Fiery World let us remember how powerful are the rays of unified auras. Let the co-workers ponder upon the great law of unification. Selfhood, crudity, self-pity, conceit, will produce nothing except a repulsion as of some gaseous substances.
Fiery World III, 66.
7. The fabric of the protective net is strung by the most diverse energies. Each spiritual center is based upon the collection of precipitations of the subtlest energies into the protective net. All the centers are transmuted and saturated by fire, which weaves the threads of the protective net. Thus, this shield is an affirmation of all cosmic currents, which are refracted in the protective net. Each blow upon the aura may be reflected, as a boomerang, upon its sender. When the protective net can reflect all the Higher Fires, then, indeed, can be fused in this furnace many manifest blows. Each striving consciousness must weave its own protective net. One may deflect many blows and painful stings if the protective net remains impenetrable. The immunity of the spiritual centers may become complete when the protective net is continually nourished by fire from within. Hence, it is so important to be solicitous about the tension of the protective net. Psychic energy, aspiration of the spirit, and fiery transmutation will supply the needed fabric for the protective net. On the path to the Fiery World let us remember the power of this Shield.
Fiery World III, 114.
8. The composition of the aura is highly complex. Into it enter psychic and physical emanations. Each impulse or thought is reflected in it. Each aspiration produces its obvious emanation. But in studying the aura it will be necessary subtly to distinguish between the two types of emanations which correspond to the two Worlds. During illnesses it is also necessary to study carefully the radiations which may be an effect of the Fiery World. Thus, when We are dealing with auras, it is necessary to take into consideration the subtle body, which sends out rays from the centers to the surface of the surrounding aura. The creativeness of the spirit especially can be reflected on the aura. Indeed, all fluids have their levels, which will be highly indicative for many scientific investigations. Likewise it is very important to investigate the extremities, for the magnet of the extremities, the fingers, feet and the radiations of the eyes can produce a powerful combination for uniting the personal magnetism with that of the earth and of the elements. Thus, on the path to the Fiery World it is important to affirm each unifying of the emanations with Cosmos.
Fiery World III, 145.
9. Momentos easily take on the significance of talismans. Also memorial days affirm a useful rhythm. It may be understood that momentos awaken tides of love, and bring a purification of the aura.
Fiery World II, 148.
10. It has great significance when Our messengers travel through designated places. In some they bury certain objects, in others they simply pass by, thus strengthening the aura of those places. People do not pay attention to these pilgrimages, but a historian's eye could perceive the periodic nature of such travels. It could then be seen that the consecrated places proved to be especially important in the history of nations.
Supermundane I, 17.
11. > It is impossible even to imagine to what an extent the aura of the home is strengthened where solicitude is definitely maintained. In many people the understanding of Hierarchy is completely obscured, but even in such cases solicitude will help to set the situation right-merely by being solicitous toward each other! This is no great obligation, and yet it is like a cornerstone.
12. It is possible to carry out many observations of radiations. It can be proven that over and above the radiations that are accessible even to photography, there exist still more subtle light waves that can be detected by a more refined apparatus. The effect of the waves spreads over great distances. Moreover, the possibility is explained of tearing away portions of the basic aura within the limits of subtle waves. Though it is rare, yet forceful people can see portions of their own auras. Such manifestations are rare because usually a man does not see his own radiation. It may be pointed out that such sendings of radiation are linked with thought-sendings. Thought, in passing through the aura, carries with it a portion thereof. Particles of the aura can be left on the interconnecting thread. Whoever sends many thoughts tears away a great number of particles from his aura. Therefore such mental labor is truly an achievement. Self-abnegation is also contained in that the pierced portions of the aura are easily subjected to the influence of opposed currents. But the restoration of the tissue requires both time and the expenditure of energy.
Let no one conclude that it is proposed not to think in general; however, it must be kept in mind that each self-sacrificing expenditure of the aura calls forth a strengthening of the primary energy. Consequently in giving we receive.
13. You may proclaim My desire to see all at work.
One must exert one's aura; it cannot grow otherwise. It should be clearly understood how useless the heavenly rays are if they are not met by the emanations from the nerve centers. I have already spoken about numbness of the tongue and broken arms as the result of heavenly action without earthly response.
14. Where, then, is the best ferment with which to steady the wavering of the aura? The best ferment is striving. It is impossible to sting or to smash an impetuously directed body. Striving in motion attains validity, and becoming lawful it becomes irresistible, for it enters into the rhythm of the Cosmos.
Thus proceed in the small and in the great, and your texture will be unmatched, crystal, cosmic; in brief—beautiful.